Is it grilling season yet? I’m not one to wait, so I put the salmon on the grill today and paired it with this delicious mixed green salad that is loaded with all my favorite toppings: avocado, strawberries, almonds, Gorgonzola cheese and slices of red onion. The honey balsamic salad dressing compares nicely with the glaze on the salmon which is sweet and smoky with a touch of lemon.
My husband has been out of town these past couple of days, so I wanted to prepare something extra special for when he comes home. Plus the weather around here has been so beautiful that I’m actually thinking of dining out tonight. That doesn’t happen in March, but I’m ignoring the calendar and going for it. A romantic dinner for two while we enjoy this amazing salad with grilled salmon makes for a perfect evening.
Salmon is a fish that we all need to eat often, and it’s so easy to prepare. I buy wild Atlantic salmon for it’s abundance of powerful omega-3 fatty acids. These chemicals act like little scrubbers inside our arteries, clearing out debris and reducing inflammation caused by plenty of other environmental, stress, diet-related damage we incur. And if salmon wasn’t enough, I add avocado, almonds and olive oil for one big healthy fat jubilee.
Ok, I’m loving this salad so much! It is such a great way to end the week or start the weekend, if you want to look at it that way. Either view, I am looking forward to spending some quiet time with my husband. I hope you get to gather your loved ones around this weekend and enjoy delicious food!
- Strawberry Avocado Salad with Honey Glazed Grilled Salmon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 (4-ounce) wild Atlantic salmon fillets
- 6 cups or 1 (5-ounce) bag of fresh spring lettuce mix
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Honey Glaze: Combine olive oil, honey, lemon juice, liquid smoke and salt in a small container; whisk to combine.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Rinse and pat dry salmon fillets, then coat with a small amount of olive oil (to prevent sticking on grill). Place on grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from grill and brush glaze over each fillet. Set aside.
- Divide spring mix between 4 dinner plates. Top with strawberries, avocado, red onion, cheese and sliced almonds.
- For the Honey Balsamic Dressing: Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a small container; whisk to combine. Pour over each salad plate.
- Arrange salmon fillet on top of each salad plate. Add more glaze or dressing as needed.