I’m keeping my slow cooker busy these days as visitors come and go. When you need something to serve in a tight window of time slow cookers are there to make life a little bit easier. This recipe just blows my mind. I’ve been eating it all week long and I can’t get enough. It makes enough for an army which translates to lots of leftovers.
The whole delicious concoction starts with a bottled salsa verde. I use La Victoria brand which comes in mild or medium and since I’m kind of a wimp when it comes to spicy hot stuff, I choose mild. I add chicken base (Better than Bouillon), juice of a lime, cumin, garlic and a can of diced green chiles. About 3 pounds of chicken are nestled into this yummy sauce and cooked on low heat for 6 to 7 hours or if you’re in a hurry you can do the 3 to 4 hours on high.
Once the chicken is cooked and super soft, I shred it. It just falls apart on it’s own, but the shredding process moistens the chicken even more as all the sauce soaks into each tender fiber. The final show-stopper is the addition of reduced-fat cream cheese for a “just right” creaminess.
I love to serve this chicken in a bowl on top of Spanish rice (brown rice cooked in equal parts water and your favorite bottled salsa) and pinto beans. Top with shredded Mexican cheese, fresh cilantro and diced avocado for a fabulous, family-friendly meal. This chicken can also be used in enchiladas, burritos, tacos, taquitos or on top of a bed of romaine for a delicious Salsa Verde Chicken Salad. Don’t forget the Mango Salsa.
One Year Ago: Spicy Turkey Meatloaf with Yukon Gold Roasted Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken breasts, washed and patted dry
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle salsa verde, mild or medium (I use La Victoria)
- 2 tsp chicken base (I use Better than Bouillon)
- Juice of one lime
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- Add chicken to the slow cooker. Top with salsa verde, chicken base, lime, cumin, garlic and canned chilies. Use a pair of tongs or a spoon to turn the chicken so that sauce is combined and both sides of chicken are coated. Cover. Cook for 3 to 4 hours on high heat, or 6 to 7 hours on low heat.
- The chicken is ready when it easily shreds with a fork. Shred the chicken in the slow cooker, and toss with the juices. Add the cream cheese and allow to soften, then stir into the chicken.
- You can store the shredded chicken in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Serve on top of brown rice (cook with equal parts water and your favorite bottled salsa) and pinto beans. Top with shredded Mexican cheese, fresh cilantro and diced avocado.
You might also enjoy: