The holidays are busy times; I’m sure I don’t have to tell anyone that piece of obvious information, but what I can tell you is that my slow cooker saves the day when I can’t seem to get dinner on the table in time for my daughter’s basketball games, holiday shopping or whatever else fills my space this time of year. Working almost full-time has it’s pressures and a big one for me is “what’s for dinner?” Every mom hears it; every kid wants to know. Why? Maybe it’s to prepare their taste buds for what’s to come, like avoiding big surprises just in case they’re disappointed. What does that say about my cooking or should I reveal just how picky my seventeen-year old daughter really is? For whatever reason, it’s such a good idea to plan your dinner meals ahead. Enter slow cookers.
This chicken dish will make your life so easy. First of all, it’s quick (via the slow cooker), is full of flavor and is really very easy to make. I first prepare a simple white sauce using butter, flour, broth and milk with some Italian salad dressing mix and black pepper added for great flavor. This is poured over the chicken in the slow cooker. Set it to LOW and cook for 4-5 hours. The chicken will be soft and moist and will pull apart with a fork. Who doesn’t love shredded chicken? Almost done!
I finish it off by adding reduced-fat cream cheese and light sour cream to the chicken mixture along with sauteed sliced mushrooms and onions. Serve over pasta or rice for a quick family meal everyone loves. You might consider doubling the recipe because you’re going to need extra helpings. Believe me! It’s that good.
One Year Ago: Mediterranean Stuffed Phyllo Cups
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 (0.7-ounce) pouch Italian salad dressing/seasoning mix (I use Good Season's)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 7-8 ounces multi-grain pasta, cooked according to package directions (I use Barilla Plus)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian-leaf parsley
- Place chicken in a 3 to 4-quart slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan placed over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together until a thick paste forms. Continue to stir for about a minute. Slowly stir in the chicken broth whisking constantly until smooth. Then whisk in the milk stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer and thicken. Stir in the pepper and Italian seasoning mix.
- Pour the thickened mixture over the chicken and stir everything together. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until the chicken easily shreds. Shred the chicken and stir everything together.
- Cube the cream cheese and add to the slow cooker. Allow the cream cheese to melt over the chicken. Stir until completely combined. Stir in the sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. (If too thick, add a little water to thin it out.)
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan placed over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and onions. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add to chicken, stirring to combine.
- Serve over cooked pasta and top with chopped fresh parsley.
You might also enjoy: