Breakfast burritos are nothing new. They’ve been around the block a few times, but this version will blow your mind the way they impressed my family when I served them at a recent tailgate party. Typically mild in flavor I’ve kicked them up a notch with chipotle seasoning, chili powder, cumin and fresh cilantro. They’re packed with sausage, bell peppers, onions, potatoes, eggs, black beans and cilantro. YUM! Everyone loved them. I know you will too! Plus they’re super easy to make.
They’re such a great addition to your next pigskin party or breakfast/brunch or for dinner like I’ve been eating them lately. Make them ahead, even up to a few days ahead and store them in the refrigerator for up to a week. Or you can wrap the night before or the morning of the party. Just be sure to give them at least a couple of hours wrapped to absorb the flavors from the tortilla and delicious filling. Heat them prior to serving so the cheese melts and the tortillas soften even more.
For the tortillas I recommend you use a corn and flour blend. Look carefully in the tortilla aisle; these are not easy to find, but they’re there, I promise. Here are two brands I’ve used: Don Pancho and Mission (no sponsorship here). If you try to use pure corn tortillas they will be difficult to roll; the tortilla will crack. With the blend, there is enough stretch from the flour so they don’t crack. Here’s a trick I use to soften the tortilla: Place two tortillas between slightly damp paper towels and microwave them for about 20 seconds on HIGH. This makes them soft and pliable; it’s the perfect tortilla for rolling. The corn makes such a difference in the final product. I love that whole grain goodness and added fiber.
Start by browning the turkey sausage (remove casings if needed) and then add frozen chopped onion and bell pepper blend (always good to have this blend on hand for soups, sauces and fillings) as well as half of a bag of frozen O’Brien potatoes (frozen potatoes hold their shape really well). Stir in all the seasonings, cilantro and black beans. Whisk your eggs and pour over the sausage mixture. Allow them to cook slowly on low heat, without a lot of stirring, but cook thoroughly. If your egg sticks to the bottom of your pan, don’t worry. When you remove the mixture from the heat, you’ll be able to stir it all together including what ever was stuck to your pan.
If you’re ready to roll, have your aluminum foil squares cut and some grated Mexican cheese for topping on hand. Heat and soften your tortillas as described above. Then spoon about 1/3 cup filling onto the bottom of your tortilla and sprinkle cheese on top.
Start rolling the tortilla, tucking in the sides and pulling back on the filling as you roll to create a tight seal.
Roll the burrito in your foil and repeat with the remaining tortillas. Keep warm in a heated oven if you’re going to eat them right away. If not, then just store in the refrigerator for up to a week. When ready to serve, either heat foil-wrapped burritos in the oven or unwrap and microwave damp paper towel-wrapped burritos for 45-60 seconds on 80% POWER.
Enjoy these tasty, versatile and healthful wraps full of super nutrition and loads of flavor. They’re very high in protein thanks to the turkey sausage, eggs and cheese. Don’t forget about the high fiber and vitamins from the onions, bell peppers, black beans and corn tortillas. There isn’t one wasted ingredient in these super easy, family friendly wraps. Serve with sriracha sauce or your favorite salsa for even more flavor and spice.
- Quick and Easy Breakfast Burritos
- 1/2 pound turkey sausage (casing removed)
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen bell pepper and onion blend
- 1/2 (28-ounce) bag frozen Potatoes O'Brien
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 - 1 Tbsp chipotle powder (or to taste)*see note below
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 large eggs
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend (cheddar, Monterey Jack)
- 10 corn and flour blend tortillas
- Sriracha sauce or your favorite salsa for dipping
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned and chopped up. Add the bell pepper and onion blend and Potatoes O'Brien, stirring until soft and translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the black beans and the cilantro. Add the seasonings, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to low.
- Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl. Pour the eggs over the sausage/potato mixture. Avoid stirring too much or the potatoes will fall apart and become mushy. Cook over low heat and turn them occasionally to cook.
- When you're ready to fill your tortillas, soften them by placing two tortillas between layers of slightly dampened paper towels and microwave them for 20 seconds on HIGH. Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup filling onto a tortilla. Sprinkle a tablespoon of cheese over top. Fold in the sides of the tortilla and start rolling, pulling gently on the filling as you roll to create a tight roll, avoiding ripping your tortilla. Wrap in aluminum foil. Repeat for the remaining tortillas. Keep wrapped burritos warm in a heated oven. Or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- You may have extra filling depending on how full you make your burritos. Good enough to eat out right of the bowl.
- To reheat tortillas: Place aluminum-foil wrapped burritos in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Or to reheat a single burrito, remove from aluminum foil and wrap in a slightly dampened paper towel. Place in the microwave for 45-60 seconds on 80% POWER until heated through and cheese is melted. Repeat for remaining burritos.
- Serve with sriracha sauce or your favorite salsa.
*If you cannot find chipotle powder (I ordered mine on Amazon), double up the chili powder and the cumin.
Per burrito: 210 calories, 10 grams fat, 16 grams carbohydrate, 14 grams protein