If you love Panda Express Beef and Broccoli, you’re going to love this recipe. It’s vibrant, a touch spicy and salty and completely satisfies your craving for that Asian urge. Like many Asian dishes which use fresh vegetables and lean proteins, the nutritional value of this dish is exceptionally high. Beef brings loads of protein, vitamins like niacin, thiamin, vitamins B-6, B-12 as well as phosphorus and iron. The broccoli boasts it’s own powerful profile of potassium, vitamins K, A and C as well as magnesium, calcium and more iron.
You’ll love the sauce! If you do any Asian cooking you’ll probably have the ingredients on hand and if you don’t then it’s time you stocked up because you’re going to want to make this dish over and over. These ingredients are so common in typical Asian cooking that you’ll be glad you have them. These include: low-sodium soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chili garlic paste, rice vinegar, peanut oil, fresh ginger (which you can peel and freeze for later) and of course, garlic.
We’re all looking for 30-minute meals, because let’s face it, we don’t have hours to prepare ahead. You can have the butcher slice your sirloin steak if you want to save even more time. I often buy broccoli already cut into florets and freeze what I don’t use. The brown rice is a quick-cooking variety (I use Uncle Ben’s) and is prepped and ready within 15 minutes.
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil
- 2 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 pound sirloin steak, thinly sliced across the grain
- 4 medium green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Combine soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, cornstarch, rice vinegar, chile paste and 1/4 tsp sea salt in small bowl, whisking until smooth.
- Place broccoli in a covered microwave safe dish and cook on HIGH for 4 minutes or until slightly tender. Rinse under cold water to stop cooking; drain.
- Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet placed over medium-high heat. Add minced ginger, minced garlic, remaining 1/4 tsp sea salt and beef; sauté for 2 minutes or until beef is browned. Add soy sauce mixture; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in prepared broccoli and green onions. Cook for another minute or until vegetables are heated through.
- Serve over brown rice.