Sun Valley is one of the wonderful reasons I love living in Idaho. It’s about a three hour drive from Boise and is nestled between three major mountain ranges which you can see from the top of the ski resort. My husband Michael and I love to ski together (it’s how we met over 35 years ago) and get to Sun Valley at least once a year (because any more than that breaks the bank!), and its often to celebrate our wedding anniversary in December. I couldn’t ski last December because of a back surgery, but I’m feeling strong and it’s time to hit the slopes. We’re going to make it a day tomorrow. I’m super excited, even though it’s been somewhat of a down year for snow here in the west while the east coast has been bombarded.
To honor the day I’m posting one of my favorite pizza ideas from a local pizza restaurant, Idaho Pizza Company. It’s the Sun Valley Vegetarian Pizza topped with a yummy garlic cream sauce and tons of tasty veggies. To make it even easier I use Boboli 100% whole wheat thin pizza crusts. Boboli crusts have always been so handy to use, and now with their recently added thin crust variety, it’s a no-brainer. With the toppings this pizza only takes about 10-12 minutes to bake in a very hot (45o degree) oven. It’s a good thing it bakes so fast because it seems like when it’s time to eat pizza, everybody in the house is anxiously waiting. I serve this pizza with a fresh green salad like Mixed Greens, Grapes and Sunflower Seed Salad or Orange and Avocado Butter Lettuce Salad. Or you can just slice up some fresh apples to serve on the side. Keep it simple and fresh for the perfect family meal.
- Sun Valley Veggie Pizza
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free half and half
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 (12-inch) Boboli 100% whole wheat thin pizza crust
- 2 cups part-skim milk mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup coarsely torn fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced artichoke hearts, canned in water and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh grape tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Melt butter in small skillet placed over medium-high heat. Add flour and whisk together. Slowly add the half and half and whisk until mixture is thickened to desired consistency. Stir in garlic powder and sea salt.
- Spread garlic sauce over pizza crust, leaving a 1/4-inch edge. Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and the cheddar cheese over the sauce. Arrange vegetables over the cheese. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over the vegetables and then sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 450 degrees F. for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes before slicing. Arrange fresh tomatoes on top before serving.
You might also enjoy: