Frittatas are Italian omelets that are not turned or folded and are finished by placing under the broiler. They can be served for any meal of the day and are a wonderful way to incorporate summer’s most beautiful vegetables.
Today I’m using a recipe inspired by a wonderful low-glycemic recipe food blog, Kalyn’s Kitchen which is chock-full of fabulous recipes, mostly meatless, low-carb, South-Beach friendly and well tested. Find the original recipe here.
I’ll be demonstrating this recipe for our bariatric cooking class tomorrow night. Folks who’ve had weight loss surgery must limit the amount of starchy carbohydrates because starchy carbs don’t digest very well, there’s little room for them and they don’t provide as many nutrients per calorie as more nutrient-dense foods like protein and veggies. Protein is the name of the game, baby! This recipe is full of all the essential amino acids (building blocks of protein) thanks to the eggs and cheese. Vital nutrients like vitamin A, C, folic acid, potassium, vitamin D, magnesium are found in the veggies without adding a lot of extra calories. If you haven’t had surgery, this is still a great breakfast treat when you’re tired of the same My Go-To Breakfast Dish. (Even though I rarely tire of that!)
- Summer Vegetables Three-Cheese Frittata
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 zucchini, seeded and diced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces shredded low-fat Mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces crumbled Feta cheese
- 2 ounces shaved Parmesan cheese
- 6 eggs, beaten well
- 1 tsp seasoning salt (like Lawry's or Spike)
- 1/2 tsp dried ground oregano
- Add olive oil in a 10-12-inch omelet pan placed over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper,zucchini and onion; saute until the vegetables have softened and are lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the mozzarella, Feta and Parmesan cheeses to the pan and let them start to melt.
- Add the eggs and season with seasoning salt and oregano. Cover the pan and cook on low for about 10-12 minutes. Eggs will be nearly set.
- Preheat broiler.
- Put the pan, uncovered, under the broiler and broil until the eggs and cheeses are all melted and nicely browned, about 1-2 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then cut with a pizza cutter into 8 wedges. Serve hot.