I can’t stand it. This salad not only tempts the tastebuds, but it’s awfully beautiful to look at too! There’s something so attractive about blue and emerald green with touches of white. Whoa, that sounds like a love affair with the Seattle Seahawks or something. Ok, well I’m just sayin’ since the start of football is just around the corner, but I’m really talking about this salad. Blue cheese with anything is amazing, but when combined with a tender, moist steak like this tri-tip along with fresh greens, vibrant blueberries and smooth avocado, you’ve got a winning team right there. I’m still using football metaphors; let’s get this party started already.
I first introduced this recipe to my cooking class last month and it was, needless to say, a big thumbs-up from the group. So lately it seems like every time I grill steaks, I find myself slicing up a few pieces and sliding them right along side some blue cheese, fresh blueberries and ripe avocado. Strangely I just so happen to have all these ingredients on hand; now isn’t that a coincidence?! A salad so addictive, it might be a crime. And with grilling season still going strong, at least at my house, this salad is a no brainer.
Main dish salads, ones with protein, veggies all built into one like this one, are perfect potluck picks or easy end-of-summer hot August meals. No one wants to cook too much when temperatures are soaring; grilling a steak is all that is required here. And what about that blue cheese? It adds so much delectable flavor, but with a lot of fat, so I opt for just a little bit. Then to get more blue cheese taste I add a deliciously deceptive low fat salad dressing made by Litehouse called OPA Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese dressing. It’s so smooth and creamy, and just the right amount of blue cheese. A little goes a long way too! Top with fresh blueberries, avocado, sliced green onion for a perfect all-in-one meal to keep the spirit of summer alive . . . while you wait for football season to start.
One Year Ago: Fresh Vegetable Pasta Salad with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Steak Salad with Blue Cheese, Blueberries and Avocado
- 4 cups mixed salad greens (I use spring mix)
- 1 medium avocado, diced or sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 pound lean steak (like sirloin or tri-tip) grilled or seared to your liking, sliced into strips
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 1/2 cup Litehouse OPA Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese dressing
- Arrange the salad greens on a large platter. Top with avocado, green onion, steak slices, crumbled blue cheese and blueberries. Drizzle salad dressing over the salad and serve.
*Add 15 minutes to total time for grilling steak, if not already prepared.
You might also enjoy: