As the grilling season winds down I wanted to share a recipe that I know you’ll want to have no matter the season. If you’re like me you’ll be grilling all year long either indoor or outdoor because recipes like this are too good not to enjoy whenever you want.
You’ll love this super flavorful turkey burger which I adapted from a Pinterest recipe given to me by my darling daughter-in-law Meegan, and I’m in love. Turkey burger all by itself is pretty darn bland, so the additional spices in this burger take it from dull to dynamic in a few quick shakes. Believe me you’re going to want to make more than just four patties. Double the recipe, triple it or even quadruple it especially if you’ve got a crowd on hand. Leftover burger mix can be sauteed for a quick crumble in eggs, wraps, salads or in a pasta sauce served over zucchini noodles. Wow! So many ideas in one place.
It’s all in the seasonings. Start with chile powder and chipotle powder found in the Mexican food aisle or order on Amazon for quick delivery. For the chipotle powder I also found a Mrs. Dash product which has the chipotle powder blended in with other great southwestern spices. These are authentic flavors that give it that smoky, mild spicy flavor. If you can’t find them, use a smoky Paprika, cumin and chili powder. There’s a lot of black pepper as well as garlic, shallot, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Mix these ingredients all together along with some panko bread crumbs, an egg and the turkey burger, then form about four large patties. Place them on a prepared grill at medium high heat and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes per side until cooked through.
Serve with a simple Sriracha Mayo Spread (not shown in any of these photos) which is made by stirring in Sriracha sauce into mayonnaise according to your taste preferences. My palate for spice is what I would call mild medium (emphasis on the mild) while others may want a big squeeze of sauce in their mayo. This is easily adjusted. Serve on whole grain buns (or no buns) topped with a big slice of tomato, cheese, avocado, lettuce or coleslaw. Burgers are great, super versatile and please just about everyone in the household any time of year.
- Spicy Chipotle Grilled Turkey Burgers with Sriracha Mayo Spread
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 to 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 1/2 Tbsp chipotle powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole grain hamburger buns (optional)
- Sriracha Mayo Spread
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 to 2 Tbsp Sriracha sauce (depending on your preferred level of "hot")
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine turkey burger, panko, egg, cilantro, shallot, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, chipotle powder, salt and black pepper in a large bowl. Mix gently with fingers to combine (and to avoid tough burgers). Helpful Tip: Cover hands with any type of oil to help keep burger from sticking to them as you form the mixture into four large patties.
- Place on grill and cook 5 to 6 minutes per side until burgers are done and no longer pink.
- For the Sriracha Mayo Spread: Combine mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce in a small bowl, stirring to combine. Taste and adjust to your preference.
- Serve burgers on buns (optional) topped with the Sriracha Mayo Spread. Additional toppings might include sliced tomatoes, mashed avocado, melted cheese, lettuce and/or coleslaw.
You might also enjoy: