What a perfectly perfect way to feed the family. Slow cookers are the bomb. Just put everything in, set the timer and let it go. Come back a few hours later and you’ve got dinner ready to roll. No fuss, just a tasty, timely dish that calls for a little finger-lickin’; it’s that good. I’ve been making this dish a few times over the last few weeks much to the delight of my seventeen year old who, you might recall, is on the very particular side when it comes to food preferences. She loves it!
Great thing because not only is it super delicious, but it’s packed with protein from the chicken and vitamin C thanks to the ketchup in the sauce. I serve it over either white or brown rice for added carbohydrate intake which feeds her insatiable energy needs now that basketball season has once again started at Eagle High School. This is Abby’s final season as a Mustang and she is anxious to do well. So having a meal ready for her after practice is pretty key to muscle recovery and blood sugar control.
I love using chicken thighs on occasion because the darker meat is more tender than white and when I buy them boneless it seems like so much of the fat is already removed. That’s a win-win. I use about eight boneless, skinless thighs, give them a good rinse and pat down before throwing them into the slow cooker.
In a small bowl I blend the delicious sauce and pour it over the chicken. Cover and let cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 3 to 4 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and add a slurry of cornstarch and water to the sauce, cover and let thicken for about 10 minutes on HIGH, then put the chicken back into the cooker to heat up. Serve over rice or noodles for the perfect family night meal.
One Year Ago: Cranberry-Apple Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Cherry Balsamic Glaze Two Years Ago: Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Chicken Bowls
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, rinsed and patted dry
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup honey (or can substitute 1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup ketchup (or can substitute sugar-free ketchup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- White or brown rice or noodles
- Dried chives or sliced green onion, optional
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken thighs and place them in the slow cooker.
- Combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup and garlic in a small bowl, stirring well to blend. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours or on HIGH 2 hours, or until chicken is no longer pink. Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken to a plate or cutting board, leaving the sauce.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and the cold water in a small bowl and add to the sauce, stirring to combine. Cover and cook sauce on HIGH for 10 more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut or shred the chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving. Serve over rice or noodles and top with chives or green onion.
You might also enjoy: