It’s Super Bowl 2018 and as little as I follow professional football, I’m pretty pumped for this game between the Philadelphia Eagles and the New England Patriots. We’re Pats fans around here mostly by “marriage” if you will. Our oldest son, Parker married Meegan who grew up in Foxborough Massachusetts, the home of the Patriots. She is die-hard passionate fan to say the least which is seriously contagious. And I admit that I admire dynasties. Some get tired of the same faces, colors, coaches etc but you have to respect the high level production from year to year. Roger Federer, Serena Williams, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, the Yankees, the Golden State Warriors. Whatever the sport, when someone or some team dominates from year to year, that is something special.
Another special thing about the big game is what you serve your family and friends. Let’s start with these delicious sliders. Made with my favorite meatloaf recipe they are quick to prepare and easy to eat, two important ingredients of a successful Super Bowl spread. I like to use lean ground beef, either 90% or 93% lean. Then get out your food processor to chop the onion, carrot and garlic; the smaller the pieces the quicker the vegetables will cook. Add all these vegetables, along with Italian-seasoned bread crumbs, milk, egg, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and ketchup to the beef and blend carefully with your hands. The more you manipulate the meat, the less tender it becomes.
I mold them into small little patties and place them into a small amount of heated olive oil in my large skillet. Brown them on both sides and remove from the skillet. Add a little more ketchup and brown sugar to the skillet to make a glaze, scraping up the remainder meat “goodie” from the skillet.
Place each pattie onto a slider bun, top with a spoonful of glaze and enjoy the game! Don’t forget to include other easy finger-food ideas like chips and dips, skewered chicken, chili or soup in mugs, popcorn, colorful sliced fruit and vegetables, bar cookies or cupcakes. (Check out my next blog post for more Super Bowl food ideas.)
And of course . . . Go Patriots!
- Skillet Meatloaf Sliders
- 1 pound ground beef (93% lean)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 4 Tbsp ketchup, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 12 slider buns or whole grain rolls, cut in half
- Combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, milk, onion, garlic, carrots, thyme, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, mustard and 1 Tbsp ketchup in a large bowl. Knead gently with hands until well combined. Form into 12 small patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet placed over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. Remove from pan to plate, tent with foil.
- Return skillet to medium heat. Add brown sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons ketchup and 1 tablespoon water. Cook until bubbling and sugar is dissolved, scraping pan of flavorful residue. Spoon glaze over cooked patties and serve on slider buns.
You might also enjoy: