Who doesn’t love Alfredo sauce? It’s rich creamy goodness is a sure-fire gimme when it comes to pleasing your family and getting even your pickiest eater to try something new. But Alfredo sauce, at least the American version, is made with highly saturated fats like whipped cream, lots of butter and Parmesan cheese. The true Italian Alfredo is actually just Parmesan cheese and butter added to fettuccine pasta for a simpler, healthier recipe. Leave it to Americans to “calorie-it-up” with heavy cream! But I’ve got a good solution: I use fat-free half and half (which is really just skim milk thickened with a natural plant fiber) , a lot less butter and reduced-fat cream cheese to thicken it up a bit. I think it’s as good as traditional Alfredo and I don’t feel a bit guilty about serving this version to my family. Plus this recipe is simple, simple to make!
I’ve been excited to try my new zucchini slicer. On TV it’s called the Veggetti vegetable spiral slicer. I recently purchased a similar slicer and gave it a try with this dish. I LOVE IT! (And no, I’m not getting paid to say that.) It produces long pasta-looking strands which take the place of pasta for a lower carb meal and more nutritious option. It is easy to use and clean so I think I’ll be using this fun tool again.
- Simple Chicken Zucchini Alfredo
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups fat-free half and half
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 2 cups spiral-cut zucchini (2-3 medium), steamed and drained well (I use paper towels to squeeze out all excess water)
- Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan placed over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together. Gradually add half-and half until well blended. Stir until slightly thickened.
- Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, cream cheese and garlic salt. (Be careful not to bring mixture to a boil.)
- Add cooked chicken and serve over spiraled zucchini. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Best if served immediately.
More delicious zucchini recipes: