A holiday party is not a party without the shrimp cocktail. But if you’re like me and want to make your sauce from scratch to avoid excess salt or preservatives, then this is for you! You’re really going to love this sauce. It’s spicy but not too much and I love the horseradish, and that’s what makes it zesty! You probably have most of these ingredients on hand. Serve with lots of celery sticks to help quench the zest!
Shrimp is the best. It’s high in protein, but low in fat which makes it a great food for all of us trying to get a little leaner. Along with shrimp we can be adding more fatty fish like salmon, trout and sardines for beneficial omega-e fatty acids. I recently came across a great study about the anti-aging benefits of following the Mediterranean diet which as you remember is loaded with fish along with plenty of fruits, vegetables, olive oil and whole grains. Click HERE to read the article. It describes how those who follow the Mediterranean diet have much healthier telomeres, the ends of our chromosomes, which has been related to longevity. Eat Mediterranean Diet = Healthy Telomeres = Long Life. Read more about the Mediterranean diet HERE on my blog.
- Shrimp with Zesty Cocktail Sauce
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Chopped celery
- Arrange cooked shrimp on serving platter. Sprinkle lightly with Old Bay seasoning.
- Combine ketchup and remaining ingredients, except celery, in a bowl; stir to combine. Top with chopped celery. Serve with hot or chilled cooked shrimp.