It’s book club week and we’ve all been asked to bring a yummy salad to go with the fabulous brick-oven pizzas that will be served by our hostess Colleen. We all love gathering at her home; she is a wonderful hostess with a generous spirit. I decided to create a beautiful roasted artichoke salad inspired by Kalyns’ Kitchen Artichoke Salad I found recently. I made quite a few changes to her recipe, like adding mixed greens, white beans and celery, but I loved the idea of roasting artichokes. Roasting any vegetable brings out an entire new flavor. My version is a combination of the roasted artichokes (which smell amazing!), roasted bell peppers, capers and white beans piled on top of fresh mixed greens. The Lemon Basil Vinaigrette dressing is fresh and flavorful. It’s a perfect salad for winter because all the ingredients are available and easy to find, plus who doesn’t mind heating up their kitchen to roast a few vegetables? (Not this cold-blooded California girl-living in freezing Idaho, that’s for sure.)
Fresh artichokes are available year-round, but harvest in spring and fall. You can buy canned or frozen artichokes any time of the year. They are super high in potassium, a mineral essential for heart health and blood pressure balance. I appreciate the magnesium content since this mineral is key to muscle function, energy production and blood pressure balance and of which most of us don’t get enough. You’ll find an abundance of antioxidants and phytochemicals, including quercitin, rutin and anthocyanins, as well as vitamin C, all cancer-fighting healthful chemicals. The fiber content is very high at 10 grams per artichoke.
- Roasted Artichoke and White Bean Salad with Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- Cooking Spray
- 1 (16-ounce) can artichoke hearts, canned in water, drained and quartered
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad greens, like spinach, red leaf, green leaf, butter, arugula
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced into thin strips
- 1 (14-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp capers, drained but not rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- Freshly chopped parsley or basil for garnish
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 Tbsp dried basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss artichokes with olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place artichokes in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and place in hot oven. Roast for about 15-20 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Arrange salad greens on large platter. Place artichoke hearts, bell pepper strips, white beans, capers, red onion and celery over greens. Garnish with fresh parsley or basil.
- For the Lemon Basil Vinaigrette: Place all ingredients, except olive oil, in container of food processor fitted with a metal blade. Cover and process until smooth. Slowly pour olive oil through open chute to emulsify. Pour dressing over salad.
You might also enjoy: