When you want a wonderful moist spicy pumpkin bread, and if you’re like me, you can’t eat pumpkin without a swirl of cinnamon, then you must make this bread. It’s the best of fall right there in one lovely loaf. I promise that you won’t find any other bread that is as moist and flavorful as this. The secret is the banana; a brown, ready-to-be-dumped soft mushy banana. It creates the moisture and of course adds a distinctive sweetness. Our taste testers could not stop. I mean they devoured an entire loaf in one sitting. No lie. So I was forced to bake more. Oh what a problem!
Bananas and pumpkin both pair well with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger so there should be no hesitation to combine them together in this recipe. In fact, I was very tempted to add some chocolate chips because what doesn’t go great with chocolate, but then the title would have been even longer than it already is so I decided not to add them. Feel free to do so because that would be amazing too! I love that this bread is made with healthy, whole and nourishing ingredients like fiber-rich whole wheat flour, potassium-rich bananas, vitamin-A packed pumpkin and heart-friendly coconut oil.
I will be showing off this bread to the gals at book club this week. I know they will love it! They are a very discerning group of foodies who also love books which makes for a delicious gathering of the minds every month. They happen to be some of the most giving women on the planet; they serve the under-served, sacrifice for their families and demonstrate how to be educated and faithful. Thank you to all those who have touched my life through enlightening discussions and amazing food adventures.
This recipe is inspired and adapted from a fantastic food blog called The Kitchen Snob. Thanks Dee.
One Year Ago: Easy Pepperoni Pita Pizzas
- Pumpkin Banana Bread with Cinnamon Swirl
- Cooking Spray
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin (about 1/2 of 15-oz can)
- 1 very ripe banana, peeled and mashed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; whisk to combine. Add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves to flour mixture and whisk together until blended. Set aside.
- Mix cinnamon swirl mixture together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Beat eggs, pumpkin and banana in a large bowl of a standing mixer. Add both sugars and beat on medium until well blended. Add vanilla, oil, and water and beat on medium until well blended. Slowly add flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Pour half of batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle cinnamon swirl mixture over batter. Try to get an even coating over the batter. Pour remaining batter over the cinnamon swirl mixture, covering it completely.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 to 65 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
You might also enjoy: