I was inspired by a Cooking Light recipe I found recently where the pasta was cooked right along with the vegetables, rather than cooking them separately. It was featured in the March issue highlighting Easy Weeknight Solutions. We all want short cuts (and that includes fewer pots to wash!). This puts this recipe into my 30-Minute Meals category and more than likely you have most of these ingredients on hand.
Remember to stock up on cooked chicken. One more tip on the use of cooked chicken in addition to other tips I shared HERE, is to freeze your cooked chicken in various forms such as sliced, diced, whole, strips or however you think you might want to use your chicken. Pack these forms in separate bags and date them. I bet you use them within the 3-6 month recommended time period for frozen food.
The best part of this dish is that you get to flavor it how you like. I use extra basil and oregano and top with shredded Parmesan, my favorite Italian cheese. Here’s to quick and easy and yummy all in one pot!
- One-Pot Pasta with Chicken and Spinach
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style ready-cut stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (I use Better Than Bouillon chicken base)
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 8 ounces whole-grain spaghetti or linguine (I use Barilla whole grain)
- 2 cups sliced cooked chicken
- 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven placed over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until onion starts to brown.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, oregano, and pasta. Bring to a boil making sure noodles are submerged in the liquid.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 7 minutes or until pasta is almost done.
- Add chicken and spinach, stirring gently until spinach wilts. Season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. When ready to serve sprinkle with cheese.
You might also enjoy: