I hope you eat breakfast in some form. Remember how important it is to eat a breakfast. People who keep weight off make it a priority. I wrote about that here. To make mine super easy when I’m not able to prep a more elaborate recipe like Oatmeal Pancakes or Smoked Turkey and Spinach Quiche I quickly put this yogurt dish together.
My favorite yogurt is Coconut Chobani. It’s not too sweet and the coconut flavor is subtle but present. Chobani is fast emerging as a strong Greek Yogurt contender/provider. I am impressed with their efforts to keep yogurts free from preservatives, additives including artificial sweeteners, flavors and dyes. Greek yogurt is always your best choice because of the added protein value not to mention the powerful probiotics most yogurts provide.
I top it with my favorite seeds and nuts, a tasty granola, either homemade (I’ll be posting a homemade recipe tomorrow) or store-bought (choose one that is low in sugar and fat), unsweetened coconut, almond or soy milk. And of course, add your favorite fruit and for me a chopped apple is just what the doctor ordered to keep my bowels regular and to provide a daily dose of cancer-fighting phytochemicals most notably quercetin, catechin, phloridzin and chlorogenic acid. Be sure to include the peels as most of these disease-fighting chemicals are found there. Here is a great review of the benefits of apples on our long-term health.
- My Go-To Breakfast Dish
- 1 (6-ounce) container of your favorite Greek yogurt I love Coconut Chobani
- 1/2 whole apple, diced I love JonaGold, Pink Lady or a good old Gala
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought granola
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut*
- 1 Tbsp toasted sunflower seeds*
- 1 Tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds*
- 1 Tbsp toasted pistachio seeds*
- 1 Tbsp mini dark chocolate chips*
- 1 tsp Chia seeds
- 1/4 cup light vanilla soy or almond milk
- I keep all these topping ingredients in zip-lock bags in my freezer to keep fresh. You could also use toasted sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, chopped cashews.
- Scrape yogurt into a medium bowl. Top with all ingredients, pouring soy milk over top. Enjoy!