For the bariatric cooking class this week I am featuring Whole Foods favorite summer salads. Whole Foods Market opened their first store here in Idaho about a year ago and it has been very well received. The pre-made salads and salad bar are big hits with lunch-goers and those looking for quick and wholesome meals. Personally I love packing up a salad or two to picnic at Boise’s outdoor Shakespeare Festival plays. Many of Whole Foods Market recipes are vegetarian with an emphasis on fresh, flavorful vegetables and heart-healthy oils. The website shares hundreds of wonderful recipes here. Just click on Recipes on the left-hand side bar. What a resource!
I love this Mediterranean Tuna Salad with its combination of kalamata olives, artichoke hearts and fresh herbs. It is soon to become a summer stand by at our house. The original recipe is here.
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad
- 2 (6-ounce) cans albacore tuna, drained well
- 1/2 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1/3 cup sliced Greek olives
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Put all ingredients into a large bowl and gently fold together until well combined. Serve over a bed of chopped dark greens.