It’s book club luncheon tomorrow and we’ve all been asked to bring a favorite appetizer. Can you say “Tapas Party”? Except it won’t all be Spanish, since I’m bringing these yummy little cups. This will be fun; I can’t wait to see what everyone brings. Then we’ll get down to business and discuss our book Out of My Mind by award-winning author Stephanie Draper. I highly recommend it to you and your teens.
Back to the food. This appetizer is one big mouthful of your favorite Mediterranean flavors all in one cute little package. These compact cuties are made quick and easy with the help of an awesome product you snatch right out of the freezer section called mini phyllo or filo cups. They are pre-formed and pre-baked, but you heat them up with your preferred filling for about 10 minutes and Boom! you’re ready to serve. Phyllo dough are super thin sheets of dough that are typically separated by a thin film of butter or olive oil to make Greek foods like Baklava or Spanakopita. Athens brand has made this very easy for the rest of us, since making phyllo dough takes a lot of practice and rolling out of very delicate sheets of dough which most of us don’t have time or patience to do. Costco sells these as do other grocers.
I blend reduced-fat cream cheese with sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, feta cheese, fresh basil, garlic and a little olive oil to create a fabulous flavorful filling you then spoon into each of the cups. These ingredients not only blow your tastebuds out of this world, but they are so good for you too! They’re loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins C and E. So gobble up the tray since that won’t be hard to do, but I’ll be saving room for all the other tasty treats at the Tapas Party, I mean book club.
- Mediterranean Stuffed Phyllo Cups
- 30 prebaked frozen mini phyllo cups (I use Athens brand found at Costco or other grocers in the freezer section)
- 4-6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (I use olive-oil packed)
- 3 Tbsp chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place frozen phyllo cups on baking sheet. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl, blending well. Spoon a teaspoon of filling into each of the cups. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10 minutes or until filling is hot. Remove and serve warm.