I have this recurring dream to spend an entire month living on the Mediterranean coast soaking up the sunshine, swimming in the sea and relishing the abundantly flavorful fresh foods from the region. Wouldn’t that be amazing?! Someday . . . even if it’s just a week or even a few days, but in the mean time I’ll pretend I’m there by adding these healthful foods to my diet as often as I can, right here in Boise, Idaho.
Foods from the Mediterranean are well known for their high omega-3 content and anti-oxidant benefits, including olive oil, olives, tomatoes, garlic, fresh herbs and seeds. The good health and low rates of heart disease and cancer among people from this region have been well documented. Here’s a great visual of what actually makes up the Mediterranean diet. I posted the following graphic in an earlier post here, but thought it was worth a repeat. Thanks to Elena Paravantes RD, a Greek dietitian who posts in her blog Olive Tomato, for this very succinct, educational image she created to help us all remember how to eat like a Greek!
I tried to pack as much flavor into these easy to make, tasty bundles as I could. I start with a perfect low-fat spread of plain Greek yogurt, reduced-fat cream cheese and seasonings to match. Then I load the wraps with sun-dried tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, fresh basil, spinach leaves, feta cheese . . . can it get much better? Oh, I forgot the chicken, but you could easily make these meatless and not even skip a beat! Here’s to good health and living my dream (sort of!)
- Mediterranean Chicken Wraps
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup julienne-cut sun dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 8 (6-inch) corn and wheat blend tortillas (I used Mission Artisan brand)
- 1 pound diced cooked chicken
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- Combine Greek yogurt, cream cheese, Herbes de Provence and salt in a small bowl; blend well. Set aside.
- Combine sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese, olives, cucumber, garlic and basil in a medium bowl; toss to combine.
- Spread about a tablespoon of yogurt mixture on each tortilla, spreading to the edges. Top with sun-dried tomato mixture, chicken and spinach leaves.
- Roll up tightly, cut in half and serve with fresh fruit for a simple lunch or dinner meal.