You might just serve this as your main dish because it is hearty, bounteous and filling, but I could also see you serving this on the side next to your Mediterranean Chicken Wraps from yesterday’s post because these two recipes share a few common ingredients you already have on hand. Either way, cooking from your garden i.e., tomatoes, zucchini, spaghetti squash makes for an ubber healthy meal and boy is this delicious and super-easy to throw together. Cutting open and seeding the squash is the hardest thing you do here. In fact you could have all the vegetables cut up in advance and within the time it takes to microwave the squash this dish is done!
Discovering spaghetti squash opened a whole set of new recipes and ideas that have turned into family favorites like Spaghetti Squash Lasagna! I hope you enjoy this nutritious dish with your family.
- Italian Style Spaghetti Squash
- 2 pounds spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Place the squash halves, cut sides down, in a glass baking dish. Add 1/4 cup wtaer and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a medium skillet placed over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add the zucchini and cook for another 3 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Add the tomatoes, 2 Tbsp basil leaves, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape the squash strands in to a bowl. Toss with the remaining olive oil. Mound the squash in the center of a serving bowl and spoon the vegetable mixture over top. Garnish with remaining basil leaves and Parmesan cheese.
Prep the vegetables in advance to cut the total time to just 12 minutes.
You might also enjoy: Zucchini Lasagna