I love fresh green beans in the summer time. Many of my neighbors grow them to my delight. Green beans are an excellent source of vitamin A, rich in phytochemicals which protect against macular degeneration and provide good amounts of fiber, iron and folate. Wow! The green beans join black and white beans in a simple balsamic dressing topped with a lean flank steak grilled outside. Your kitchen will appreciate the day off and your family will love this delicious summer salad!
Flank steak is one of the leanest cuts of beef so it is best marinated ahead to tenderize. Interestingly, I just became aware of a recent study which showed that cutting red meat portions to just one 3-4 ounce serving PER WEEK, while substituting poultry, fish, legumes and nuts, cut breast cancer by a relative 15-20 percent. That’s something to consider.
So here’s my red meat for the week, and pay attention to how small the portions are in this salad; the meat is used like a condiment.
- Grilled Flank Steak Bean Salad
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 3 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasonsing
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups cut (1-inch) fresh green beans (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans or light kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 3 Tbsp red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Feta cheese, crumbled
- Sprinkle each side of flank steak with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper; rub mixture into steak. Place in zip-lock bag; refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Prepare grill. Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Place on a cutting board; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- Steam green beans 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; rinse with cold water and drain.
- Place in a large bowl. Add flank steak, red onion, white beans, black beans and red pepper; toss to combine.
- Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients, except feta cheese, in a small bowl; whisk to blend. Drizzle over bean mixture and toss gently to coat. Top with feta cheese. Cover and chill.