I had the best time tonight teaching some pretty amazing 17 and 18 year old girls all about making wise eating choices when they finally get out on their own in college. A few of them will not be eating in a cafeteria but will be purchasing and prepping their own food. That’s a daunting task especially if mom has been doing this for them forever. They don’t really know what’s ahead so I made it pretty simple and healthy with a big dose of quick and easy.
They LOVED these sandwiches. And who wouldn’t? They’re full of flavor, are quick to make and spell pure comfort food. The latter being something that a college freshman will need a lot of. I think I ate my fair share of sandwiches in college, but admit that I don’t now. I’m not as active; I don’t earn those bread carbs like I did when I was running bookoo miles back then. BUT for the amount of activity I do now it’s good to refuel with a good whole grain slice of bread on occasion, especially when it’s smothered with wholesome cheese, apples and bacon.
With only a handful ingredients required, these sandwiches make quick work of “what to have for dinner?” dilemmas we all face, not just college kids. I love using cracked wheat sour dough bread because it’s not dense and grills up perfectly in the skillet or griddle, producing just the right amount of crisp and crunch. For a nice alternative to traditional cheddar cheese, I chose Gouda, a buttery, nutty cheese that matches well with the tart Granny Smith apples.
And who can resist adding bacon for more crunch, salt and a lot of smoky flavor that makes this sandwich the pure comfort food that it is. Pair it with a delicious Apple Carrot Salad or another all-time comfort food Roasted Tomato and Bell Pepper Basil Soup.
It would also be a great finger food for the big game this weekend. You also might consider serving Pizza Stuffed Mushroom Appetizer, Jalapeno Chicken Bacon Wraps, Thai Chicken Satay and Monster Cookies. Now that’s a super party!!
- Gouda, Apple and Bacon Grilled Cheese
- 2 Tbsp spreadable butter (I use Land O’ Lakes)
- 4 slices cracked wheat sour dough bread
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 8 thin slices Granny Smith apple
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, cooked, drained and cut in half
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place two slices, butter-side down, onto the heated skillet. Arrange one slice of Gouda onto each slice of bread. Top each with 4 slices apple and 4 slices bacon halves. Place another slice of Gouda over the bacon and top with the remaining slice of bread, butter-side up.
- Cook sandwiches on both sides until golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
You might also enjoy: