When it’s cold outside, it’s time to warm your insides with delicious soups. I like to serve soups that are so hearty, that is provide enough protein and vegetables, that they qualify as a main dish. Serve with whole grain bread or a platter of fruits for a balanced meal.
1) Chicken Taco Soup is a favorite here at Inside Karen’s Kitchen. It is full of delicious flavor and can be prepared in the slow cooker, if preferred.
2) Minestrone Soup I am so partial to this meatless soup as it fills my tummy with Italian-inspired vegetables and whole grain pasta.
3) Tuscan Style Turkey Sausage, White Bean and Kale Soup This soup makes me so happy! It is loaded with anti-inflammatory ingredients like kale, beans, garlic, onions and carrots which makes it the perfect cold weather, flu-bug season recipe.
4) Chicken Corn Chowder My family literally craves this soup and can hardly wait until cold weather hits so that I can/will make this soup. Creamy but not too fatty due to thickening from the potatoes, fat-free half and half and a little flour.
5) Light Clam Chowder So while I’m thinking of chowders, I have to push you to try my version of everyone’s favorite creamy soup. Every chowder you’ll eat, including canned chowders, will be thickened with heavy cream. This soup, much like my Chicken Corn Chowder, still has that creamy texture without all the extra calories.
6) Pasta e Fagioli Everyone loves Olive Garden’s signature soup, so I’ve created my own version that is sure to please everyone without ever having to leave home.
7) Roasted Root Vegetable Soup with Parmesan Cheese Croutons This soup calls my name on a cold winter’s night when I want something smooth and satisfying. It is full of fabulous nutritious vegetables like carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes and butternut squash.
8) Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup When you’ve got a ham bone or leftovers to use up, you’ll enjoy this traditional hearty recipe that uses a variety of beans and boasts a ton of flavor.