Maybe it’s because I love this guy so much that I had to double the dark, but he’s so worth it. It’s my husband, Michael’s birthday today and I’m pretty excited to share this yummy treat with him as we celebrate the 5*th day of his birth. I’m not letting on how far into this decade he goes, but let’s say it’s a little past the half way mark. He and I have been together for almost 35 years now; it’s been a great ride! He’s the one who pretty much dragged me to Idaho 30 years ago, leaving behind my beautiful Southern California and family roots. It took me a good year to acclimate to this desert climate, the slower pace of life, no family ties, but after that year I came to appreciate the beauty, the outdoor adventures and the terrific people who make up our “family” away from family. Michael is my rock who centers me and who provides much needed stability in our home.
Michael loves all things chocolate, but like a lot of us, he’s watching his “girly figure”, so it’s perfectly fitting that he enjoy this lightened version of a very decadent dessert Americans love and adore: Double Chocolate Cheesecake. This no-bake version leaves out the butter/cookie crust and uses reduced-fat cream cheese, plain no-fat Greek yogurt, Hershey’s dark chocolate cocoa powder, bittersweet chocolate and a new stevia-sugar product called Truvia Baking Blend. It’s a 75/25 blend which is two and a half times sweeter than regular sugar so obviously you’ll use far less resulting in far fewer grams of sugar and calories in the final product and you won’t notice that characteristic artificial flavor I detest. This sweet little summer treat provides around 210 calories, 7 grams protein, 11 grams fat and 28 grams carbohydrates. (Cheesecake Factory Double Chocolate Cheesecake climbs well into the 500 calorie range with over 35 grams of fat.)
It’s smooth and creamy and oh so delicious. The best part is that it’s No Bake so you won’t be heating up your kitchen during hot summer days. Top with a light whipped topping or with sliced strawberries for the perfect summer treat.
. . . Happy Birthday to my sweetheart.
One year ago: Amazing Italian Meatballs with Tangy BBQ Sauce
- Double Dark Chocolate No Bake Cheesecake
- 3 Tbsp 1% reduced-fat milk
- 1 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 11 ounces (1 1/3 cups) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Truvia Baking Blend or 1 1/4 cup Splenda
- 1 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1/2 tsp each vanilla extract and almond extract
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup light whipped topping
- 1 cup quartered strawberries
- Combine milk and gelatin in a microwave-safe bowl; let stand 3 minutes. Microwave at HIGH for 15 seconds; stir until gelatin dissolves. Cool slightly.
- Combine cream cheese, Truvia Baking Blend or Splenda, yogurt, cocoa powder and extracts in container of a food processor fitted with a metal blade; cover and process until smooth. Add milk/gelatin mixture and melted bittersweet chocolate; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. Gently fold in whipped topping. Spoon or pipe into small dessert cups.
- Chill for six hours or until set. Serve with whipped topping and strawberries.
Total time includes six hours to set in the refrigerator
You might also enjoy: