Let me just start by saying that these carrots are amazing! You’ll be in awe of how the ordinary carrot is transformed into something so delicious. I’m not kidding! You’re going to seriously thank me for introducing you to this recipe. What’s the secret? It’s the sauce, but more specifically, it’s the prepared horseradish! There, I said it right up front; that’s the secret ingredient. It can be so subtle that most people can’t figure it out. But don’t fear it, because it enhances, rather than overwhelms the dish. I serve them at holiday time, but they emerge for dinner parties, potlucks, weekly meals as they pair well with chicken, turkey or beef.
I inherited the recipe from my mother who served them A LOT in my youth. Of course, everyone loved them. Along with her Baked Pork Chops, these carrots were her “go-to” vegetable side dish. All my sisters and sisters-in-law serve them regularly too. But we aren’t the only ones to cherish this recipe. I found a similar recipe in the Salt Lake City Junior League Heritage Cookbook, published in 1975 called Company Carrots, so that’s what I’ll call them too.
I slice the carrots into 3-4 inch sticks. By the way, don’t use baby carrots, unless you’re in a real hurry; they are not half as flavorful as long fat carrots. Microwave the sticks until just tender, then top with the delicious sauce of light mayonnaise, horseradish and green onions. Top that with a sprinkle of buttered bread crumbs and bake. Add the cheese almost before serving for a treat that will be remembered and most likely added to your “go-to” vegetable side dishes, just as my mother did.
- Company Carrots
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 3-4-inch long sticks
- 3/4 cup light olive oil mayonnaise
- 2-3 Tbsp prepared horseradish (I use Beaver Brand Extra Hot Prepared Horseradish Roots)
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place carrots in a 1-quart baking dish. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Reserve cooking liquid.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, horseradish, green onions, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid, stirring to combine. Spread over carrots.
- In a small bowl combine bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle over sauce.
- Bake, covered with aluminum foil, at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove foil cover and sprinkle cheese over top; bake an additional 5 minutes or until topping is golden and cheese is melted.
You might also enjoy: