It’s so classic that we often forget how crazy delicious this salad is. And it’s so easy to put together especially if you use pre-cooked, diced chicken now available in most deli sections of your favorite grocery store. Creativity with the toppings is encouraged, but today I’m sticking with the classics: tomatoes, bacon, avocado, red onion, egg, chicken and cheese over romaine or other dark leafy green with blue cheese dressing poured over top. Cobb salads aren’t necessarily known for their healthy nutrient profile, piling up the fat grams from many of the toppings and the dressing. So I’ve made a few modifications to create a healthier composition without compromising flavor or classic ingredients.
I am so in love with Litehouse OPA Greek Yogurt Salad Dressings. They save the day in so many of my recipes (see recipes below). Instead of using a high fat, creamy blue cheese dressing which by the way is fantastic and adds so much flavor to dishes but ruins my waistline and adds to my artery clogging pile-up, I use the OPA Blue Cheese Dressing. At only 5 grams fat per 2 Tbsp serving, it is still very flavorful and creamy. Check out some of the other great flavors HERE. (And no, I am not being compensated by Litehouse for promoting their products.)
Portion control is the key to a healthy salad. Add more of the healthy toppings and a little less of the higher fat items. Protein is the name of the game in this main dish salad so pile on the chicken, egg and cheese. Load up on tomatoes and red onion. Go a little lighter on bacon and avocado, but don’t eliminate them. They add so much flavor and of course, the avocado is super rich in heart-healthy oils.
One Year Ago Today: Strawberry Lemon Angel Dessert
- Classic Chicken Cobb Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce, stalk and tough outer leaves removed, sliced crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide strips (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken breasts
- 2 large eggs, cooked and sliced
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 ounce blue or gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup light blue cheese dressing (I love Litehouse OPA Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese)
- Spread lettuce on a serving platter. Arrange chicken, eggs, bacon, tomatoes, avocado, red onion and cheese in separate rows. Serve with blue cheese dressing.
You might also enjoy: