We love our Southwestern food bold and brazen. That might mean hot and spicy for some or colorful and fresh to others. I love it all! And if you’re getting ready for a little fiesta celebration this Cinco de Mayo, then I’ve got a great round up of Southwestern recipes for you. It might be tempting to go out to eat, but these recipes bring plenty of authenticity, freshness, health and quite frankly are more fun to make yourself. Decorate with a few red, green and white flags, hang Mexican blankets and maybe even a pinata for after-dinner entertainment.
Here are 12 sensational seasonal recipes to help celebrate this festive holiday. Thanks to wonderful food bloggers who share their talents (and recipes) for all of us to enjoy.
1) Southwestern Stuffed Baby Bell Peppers from Inside Karen’s Kitchen. This appetizer made with ground turkey, quinoa and black beans is a fun starter to any Cinco de Mayo fiesta.
2) Cilantro Lime Cauliflower “Rice” from Skinnytaste. Your family may never know that they’re not really eating rice in this light and fresh, easy-to-prepare dish that’s a perfect side to all your southwestern entrees.
3) Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Coconut Cream Sauce from Inside Karen’s Kitchen. I received lots of good feedback when I posted this recipe. It’s full of flavor, especially the cream sauce. You’ll be licking your fingers!
4) Southwest Chicken Salad with Avocado Buttermilk Dressing from Prevention RD. Can you say fresh and lively, just like a Mexican Mariachi band. The dressing is simple, but full-bodied.
5) Southwest Baked Sweet Potatoes from Enjoy Every Bite. Pile it high and flavorful. I love the colors and nutritional content of this creative use of the sweet potato.
6) Southwestern Lettuce Wrap Recipe from Taste and Tell. I love this low carb version of your favorite taco wrapped up in romaine leaves. This recipe is sure to please everyone in the family
7) Fresh Pineapple Salsa from Inside Karen’s Kitchen. A fresh and versatile salsa that works well with chicken, fish and any southwestern dish.
8) Chicken Fajita Quesadillas from Jo Cooks. These are pretty simple to prepare which makes them your next quick and easy family meal.
9) Strawberry Avocado Pico de Gallo from Damn Delicious. This is the most colorful, nutritious pico I’ve ever met. Take it to your next pot luck and you’ll be inundated with requests for the recipe.
10) Huevos Rancheros with Salsa Verde from Inside Karen’s Kitchen. Inspired by a favorite restaurant meal, you’ll fall in love with the combination of eggs/beans/tortillas/salsa.
11) Black Bean and Quinoa Enchilada Bake from Two Peas and Their Pod. It’s meatless but not tasteless. The quinoa is full bodied, nutritious and combines well with southwestern classic flavors.
12) Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos from Our Best Bites. Make ahead and freeze or bake and serve right away. You’ll love the creamy chicken filling made with salsa verde, reduced-fat cream cheese, cilantro and lime.