Our lovely spring weather will soon transition to the long hot days of summer which means only one thing: no heating up the kitchen! Rice bowls to the rescue! Served hot or cold, rice bowls are the perfect choice for warm weather. Nutritious, nourishing, flavorful all in one colorful bowl. You can mix and match all you want. Choose from vibrant vegetables in season. (Soon I’ll be using straight from my own vegetable garden.) This particular bowl uses fresh spring vegetables like baby kale, haricort verts (small thin green beans) and red onion. I add feta cheese. I love feta cheese on just about anything, especially since rice is a super mild flavor. But feel free to swap out with blue cheese, goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese or NO cheese.
Lately I’ve been taking advantage of pre-cooked, pre-cut chicken breasts in my local grocery store. I pay a little more for the convenience, but it is well worth it when time is tight, like it has been for me these past several weeks as I plan for my son’s wedding and end-of-school activities. Rice bowls can house tofu, shrimp, steak slices, black beans, pork tenderloin, ham and hard-boiled eggs. The options are endless.
The light lemon basil dressing matches very well with the greens, vegetables, cheeses, egg and rice. No need to overpower with a heavy dressing or sauce. I used a similar dressing on my Spring Vegetable Quinoa Salad, a favorite post from last year.
I’m definitely looking forward to the upcoming summer months with all the fun sun-soaking activities our Idaho lifestyle has to offer. Stay tuned . . .
- Chicken Vegetable Rice Bowls
- 4 cups baby kale
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup haricorts verts or other green bean, microwaved until tender
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped cashews
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Divide kale, chicken and rice between four bowls. Arrange haricorts verts, feta cheese, avocado, egg slices, red onion and cashews on top of rice.
- For the Dressing: Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, agave nectar, salt, and pepper in a small jar or container.
- Drizzle 2 Tbsp dressing over each rice bowl and season with sea salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
You might also enjoy: