May is a busy month for most of us. I’ve got bridal showers, baby showers, graduations and weddings on the calendar already and I’ve not even included Mother’s Day. What fun celebrations; all new beginnings when you think about it. Even graduations are called commencements. Mother’s Day honors the very person who brought about your beginning so I’m not kidding about that.
I’ve created the best salad for any or all of these events in case you’re asked to bring a dish to share. I’ve made this recipe several times over to make sure the ingredients are in just the right amounts. My book club ladies loved it. My cooking class participants loved it. My husband loved it. And my big football boys loved it. That’s a lot of loving. What better endorsements do I need? I know you’re going to love it too!
It starts with blanched broccoli which brings out it’s brilliant green color and softens just enough. Diced cooked chicken breasts are added together with crumbled center-cut bacon, diced red onion, shredded carrot, red grape halves and toasted cashews or sunflower seeds. The dressing is a sweet blend of light mayonnaise, plain non-fat Greek yogurt, white wine vinegar and a little sugar and salt. Just enough to cover without drowning it all.
I love the nutritional profile of this dish. It’s loaded with vitamins A and C from the broccoli and carrots, protein from the chicken and Greek yogurt along with cancer-fighting phytochemicals found in red grapes. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in nuts and the olive oil-based mayonnaise. It’s fabulous to eat and fabulous for your body. Enjoy all your new beginnings with a dish everyone will love.
- Chicken and Broccoli Salad
- 3 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breasts
- 8 slices of center-cut bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews (or walnuts or sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 cup olive-oil mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar or 2 tsp Stevia
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Place broccoli in a microwave-safe dish. cover and microwave on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or until slightly tender. Rinse under cold water immediately and drain.
- Combine broccoli, chicken, bacon, onion, carrot, grapes and toasted cashews (or walnuts or sunflower seeds) in a large bowl. Set aside.
- For the Dressing: Whisk together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl until smooth and creamy. Pour over broccoli/chicken mixture and toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
You might also enjoy: