I’m always on the lookout for quick and easy, 30 minute meals for my family. I bet you’re not much different. And now that school has officially started I’m even more pressed for time, given my work load combined with my daughter’s sports and activities. As much as I love the free flowing schedule of summer, I crave a little more order in my life. Call me a control freak, but it feels good to buckle down and get back on track. It calls for more organization, so I think you’re going to appreciate these family-tested and approved, quick-to-fix chicken tacos.
Never a week goes by that a taco doesn’t appear on the family menu. But for a long while it was always the same thing, ground beef seasoned with a taco seasoning packet, topped with good old cheddar cheese, tomatoes and maybe a little lettuce. Why not kick it up a notch? I’ve taken diced or shredded cooked chicken, mixed with either my Tangy BBQ Sauce (which I often have on hand anyway) or a favorite bottled BBQ sauce, then layered it in heated corn tortillas with black beans, sweet white corn (either cooked from frozen or fresh), chopped tomatoes, fresh cilantro and then either a light Ranch dressing OR a personal favorite Litehouse OPADipity Chipotle Ranch Greek Yogurt Dip. I’ve posted this healthy, low fat dip in the Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps and it tastes amazing. Smoky flavors of BBQ sauce and this delicious dip create a pretty magical taste sensation.
I like to use corn tortillas for their fiber content, plus they’re small in size and taste great in this dish. For those of you who don’t eat grains, just leave them out or wrap in lettuce; they’re delicious either way. It’s a fast and easy meal that’s sure to please everyone’s preferences.
One Year Ago: Chicken Meatballs with Orange Sweet ‘n Sour Sauce
- BBQ Chicken Tacos
- 2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup Tangy BBQ Sauce or your favorite bottled BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 16 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cooked fresh or frozen sweet white corn
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby/Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup light Ranch dressing or Litehouse Opadipity Chipotle Ranch Greek Yogurt Dip
- Combine chicken and BBQ sauce in a small bowl, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet or grill pan placed over medium-high heat. Add tortillas a few at a time and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned and slightly crisp, but still pliable. Flip over and brown on the other side. Place on paper towel. Add remaining oil and repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Keep warm.
- When ready to serve, double up tortillas and fill with about 1/4 cup chicken. (If using a single tortilla, fill with about 2 Tbsp chicken.) Top with black beans, corn, cheese, tomatoes and cilantro. Top with either Light Ranch dressing or Chipotle Ranch Greek Yogurt Dip.
You might also enjoy: