When time is short and your family is wondering , “What’s for Dinner?”, this recipe is an all-star! I take advantage of grocery store pre-cut vegetables like the one I picked up the other day loaded with broccoli, carrots and snow peas. I added sliced onion, red bell pepper and sliced zucchini. If you already have cooked chicken on hand, then this is a no-brainer, but sliced raw chicken cooks up so fast that you’re putting in another 5 minutes tops, to prepare the chicken. The finishing touches of pineapple tidbits, cilantro and a yummy sweetened soy sauce add all the flavor. You know what? I’m betting this recipe goes on your regular weekly dinner rotation.
Another short-cut is to use 10 minute brown rice. It has the same high fiber goodness of regular brown rice but cooks in half the time. I’ve been using this short-cut for years now. I like Minute or Uncle Ben’s.
Stir-fry recipes are the bomb! You can take whatever vegetable you have in your refrigerator and whatever cooked meat, tofu or egg even; stir them all together in a hot wok with a homemade sauce or even a store-bought sauce to create a magical meal. Serve over cooked brown rice or Chinese noodles like I do with this dish and dinner is served. Done. Plus your kitchen smells amazing and your family thinks you’re amazing.
- Asian Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 3-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger root or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4-5 sugar snap peas and/or 1/2 sliced zucchini and/or 1/2 cup broccoli flowerets
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced thin
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits canned in its own juice, reserve 1/2 cup of the pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice, reserved from canned pineapple tidbits
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat sesame oil in medium skillet placed over medium high heat and cook the chicken until lightly brown. Add the minced garlic and ginger and stir until garlic is softened and fragrant. Add the vegetables and stir until crisp-tender. Add pineapple and cilantro and stir until heated through.
- Combine chicken broth, soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar and cornstarch, whisking to combine. Pour over chicken and vegetable mixture; stir until thickened. Serve with brown rice.