Once in a while the cravings for Chicken Curry are undeniable. Today was that day. This crazy delicious dish can be pulled together in less than 30 minutes if you’ve got cooked chicken on hand. If not, you’ll need to add in the time to do that. But I always find it super convenient to keep cooked chicken around. I’ts so versatile and can be used in many recipes like Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad or Mediterranean Chicken Wraps or White Chicken Chili. (Check my Recipe Index for Chicken dishes.)
I digress! The sauce is amazing and as spicy as you want to make it. You’re the one measuring the Sriracha sauce. The amount in the recipe is definitely on the mild side so be as aggressive as you’d like. Many chicken curry dishes are loaded with fat from coconut milk and heavy cream. This recipe uses light coconut milk (the only way to go, by the way) and fat-free coconut creamer which I picked up at Trader Joe’s. Any brand of fat-free half and half will do though. I love the curry and turmeric spices and along with the peanut butter this is a very warm, mellow sauce. The toppings of toasted peanuts and coconut along with chopped cilantro are not optional. They make the dish memorable and that’s probably why the craving hit me hard today. I love this combination of sweet and salty.
This recipe was adapted from a similar recipe at Lauren’s Latest wonderful food blog. Thanks for the inspiration Lauren.
- 30-Minute Chicken Curry
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup chicken broth (I use Better Than Bouillon chicken base)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup coconut creamer or fat-free half and half
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Toasted peanuts and coconut
- Cilantro leaves
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet placed over medium high heat. Add bell pepper, carrot, green onion and garlic. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are slightly soft and tender. Add chicken and stir to combine.
- Combine broth and cornstarch in a small container; whisking to combine. Pour over chicken mixture and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add coconut milk, peanut butter, Sriracha, curry powder and turmeric. Simmer for 5 minutes. Before serving, stir in coconut creamer and chopped cilantro. Cook another minute to heat through. Serve over brown rice. Top with peanuts, coconut and cilantro leaves.